Your home is your castle, your haven and your sanctuary. It protects you, your belongings, your memories and your family. All too often homeowners are reactive when it comes to protecting their home and family.
They will install a home security system after their home has been invaded. Often these security systems are severely lacking in protection because budget is the number one factor. With over 2,000,000 burglaries each year, it is important more than ever that you are more vigilant than the burglar. According to the FBI less than 13% of burglaries are solved.
According to the insurance industry 30% of all homeowners routinely neglect taking any steps to protect their homes. Over 85% of burglaries happen right through the front door of a home. Leaving a door unlocked or partially open is a handwritten invitation for the burglar. Doors should be protected with a deadbolt and should closed and locked at all times.
Some common mistakes that homeowners do that can open the door to being invaded:
- You leave the house unlocked
- You leave the garage door open
- Posting vacation or travel plans on social networks like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- You leave a spare key under the door mat. This screams ROB ME!
- You have an alarm system but don’t turn it on when you leave for work or even a quick errand.
Home burglary selection process:
- Choose an unoccupied home with easy access, the greatest amount of cover and the best escape routes.
- Homeowners often make this selection process easy for thieves by failing to take simple precautions.
- No lighting
- No security system
By using a little common sense you can make you home a less appealing target for that burglar. With 1 burglary in every 13 seconds, the odds are better than a game of Russian roulette.